THE RUMPH Message Board
March 29, 2024, 03:49:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: RUMPH fans have a new message board!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daryl Ann Rumph teapot or large toby mug info/for sale Photos included  (Read 10320 times)
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:52:24 AM »

Hi,

I am seeking info on a piece I have. It's a one-owner with low miles. Original owner is Teny Rule (Zuber) Fisher. She ran in the same circles as Jim and Daryl Ann in the mid 1970s. It's got the Mind Circus mark dated 1975 but is signed DA Rumph '76. Overall he's a little over 11 inches tall.

http://www.pictures.amberglowmedia.com/rumph/rumph1.jpg
above link is the view from the front

http://www.pictures.amberglowmedia.com/rumph/rumph2.jpg
this is the best shot I could get of the bottom that shows the mind circus logo and he DA Rumph '76 sig.
Yay I got the pics to show up. And I'm happy to donated the pics to the site. Would also like to sell the piece and know about its rarity and desirability especially since it's DA signed instead of Jim signed.
Would love to hear from you. My email is [email protected]. Generally check mail daily. Thanks much - Anita
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:33:44 AM »

I have additional information on the piece. Best and quickest way I can add it is to bring it to you directly from the email of the lady who originally bought this piece from Daryl Ann. Her name is Teny and she was the first wife of the late Bernie Zuber, a southern California artist whose name some of you may recognize. Here is her email to me copied and pasted in:

"I bought it from Daryl Ann directly at her studio in Santa Monica or it might have been one of the other So Cal beach cities.  It was sometime in the early or mid-70's.  I remember paying about $35 for it.  Definitely no more than $50.  It was a gift for Bernie.  (Bernie and I knew the Rumph's as casual friends.  I'm remember going to their studio for a fantastic Halloween party one year.)

"I can't remember the whole story of the piece.  I believe it to be one-of-a-kind hand built. Definitely not a semi-mass production piece like most of her husband Jim's work.   It is a 3D visual  "joke" or "affectionate put-on or pun" about the Art Nouveau or Edwardian movements.  It may be referencing something from Gilbert and Sullivan or Oscar Wilde.  He is definitely an "effete fop" (note the limp wrist) referencing someone or some fictional character from the late 1800's or early 1900's.  The pot may even be Daryl Ann's impression of a work from that time period.  Not a copy per se but Daryl Ann's piece influenced by another earlier piece.

"I remember Bernie being extremely amused by it because it was referencing something specific from the Art Nouveau or Edwardian period.  He chatted with Daryl Ann about it, and she told that he was right about her being so inspired.

"There never was a pom.  That mark has been there since the day I bought it."

To learn what that last line references, please email me for a third photo of the back of the piece. I don't have it ftp'd up online where I can link it but will gladly send it. You may email me through the site or send directly to [email protected].

Thank you - Anita

Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »

So far I have received independent confirmation that it is a comedic take on a 19th century figure, either real or fictional, and that it is Daryle Ann's work. No one has yet suggested the correct spelling of her name. Smiley Please keep writing me. I'm determined to know more about this piece.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Anita
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »

The teapot inspiration mystery is solved. It is Aesthetic movement inspired and Oscar Wilde is very much involved. The inspiration for it is the Royal Worcester 870 produced in 1882. The original 870 was inspired by a cartoon in Punch magazine and Gilbert & Sullivan's "Patience." The inscription on the original 870 model was:

"Fearful consequences, through the laws of natural selection and evolution, of living up to one's teapot", signed BUDGE. This quote and the Budge signature were imprinted on the original 870 models by Royal Worcester. The inscription on the teapot is a play on Wilde's famous comment, "I find it harder and harder every day to live up to my blue china," purportedly made at Oxford after purchasing two vases for his room. It's not Oscar Wilde. But it's got his name all over it. Indeed, he is one of the people who owned one of the original 870s.

Also, the original features two figures that this one combines. It features Bunthorne on the front, who sports a sunflower. The rear of the original features Patience, who sports a calla lily. This one is just Bunthorne front and back, his front and back -- not two faces -- but he's got the calla lily Patience had in the original.

48 hours to solve a Rumph Mystery -- not bad if I have to say so myself. Smiley Thanks to everyone I wrote who responded. Your input helped me think of new terms to Google, one of which eventually turned up something that looked familiar. Most of the story of the orignial is on this link, complete with photos: http://www.worldaa.com/article.cfm?article=63

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiries. And Happy New Year!

Anita
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:57:18 AM »

After much thought this week and a little consulting with the Universe, I have decided on the terms and method of how I will sell this piece.

The Gilbert & Sullivan Opera "Patience" that inspired this piece premiered on April 23, 1881. I will accept bids to [email protected] up until April 23, 2009, at 12 midnight central time. Whoever has the highest bid at that point gets the piece. Individuals may bid more than once so long as all bids are time stamped prior to the time stated above. Confirmation that bids have been received and filed will be sent as they come in.

Shipping: Item will be packed to be virtually indestructible with tissue, an inordinate amount of new bubble wrap, $5 worth of packing peanuts I bought today, and double or triple boxed. It will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail and Insured. The cost for this extremely careful packing, shipping and insurance is $25 in addition to the amount of the winning bid. Outside the USA, the shipping will be actual cost of the shipping and insurance plus $10 for tissue, bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts and boxes. The day it will take me to pack it, I am donating that for free.

I also welcome questions. Please understand that some weeks I am not able to have my laptop in the field with me, so if you are the weekend receiving a reply, do know that it will be coming. Should you fail to receive a reply by the following Sunday, please write again as my spam filter rarely catches something it should not.

Thank you for your time and consideration. And good luck bidding!

All the best,
Anita
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »

Thank you to those who have placed bids. I have them all on file and look forward to receiving more. Again, please write if you have any questions. I will be out of town from Jan 26 - 30 without computer access. Any questions or bids that come in during that week will be responded to and/or acknowledged and filed on January 31st.

Thanks again and good luck to all!

Anita
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »

Well, bidding seemed to shoot up there for a while. It's stalled out at about $1,500 and I'm getting bored with it. If anyone's going to bid higher than that, you need to do it in the next week or it's gone. It's already foam packed and triple boxed and reeady to go. Fully packed shipping weight is 7 pounds, 3 ounces, with a total size of 75 inches on the external box.

Cheers,
Greenbuck97

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »

Sold for $1625 total. Thanks to everyone who bid.

Anita
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: