THE RUMPH Message Board
March 28, 2024, 01:46:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: RUMPH fans have a new message board!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beastly Bookshelf question  (Read 10063 times)
steveh

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:34:06 AM »

Greetings,

I have a recently acquired Beastly Bookshelf. 

Near the top, about where the large demon face begins, it curves inward, as if to loom over the viewer.

Is this intentional, and a common feature, or just a warp?

Thanks!

## UPDATE FEB 25 2008 ##

Okay, here's a picture.  The curve is visible, but not dramatically so until the piece is flat against a wall or floor. 

I think my question has been answered, anyway, if most of the existing examples are flat.

The piece in this picture looks particularly bad because I've chosen to restore it (the paint was flaking off, revealing exposed fiberglass) and I am currently in the process of removing the old paint.  A tad sacreligious, perhaps, but I don't think Rumph himself had anything to do with painting this one.  It was an gold with uninspired blotches of a darker wash.

I have also sealed the particle board structure on the inside with coats of fiberglass resin to inhibit further water damage.  This BB was apparently stored outside for some period in its history.

I'll post more pics of it later when it has returned to its beastly best.

### UPDATE March 30 2008 ###

I have an easy solution to Bookshelf warpage.

I set mine out on a flat driveway, on a towel, during an 80 degree Southern California day. 

In 15 minutes, the Bookshelf had settled back to flat, or nearly so.  I observed no cracking or other damage as a result.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:22:37 AM by steveh » Logged
gargoylpete

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »

Hello Steve...i believe that the bend is a warp from either bad storage or pressure.The 4 that i have are all straight.If you send a picture i can give you a better idea, especially if there are stress cracks or damage at the curve.
THE RUMPH Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »

Yeah, post a pic on the board and we might be able to figure it out.  Keep in mind every Rumph piece is unique.
steveh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »

Pete, I'd love to see pics of your Beastly Bookshelves.  You have FOUR, that's amazing. 

In fact, I'd love to see your collection posted here on the site. 

And thanks for parting with a few of them on eBay!

THE RUMPH Webmaster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »

Yeah, most likely a warp.  Good luck on the restore.
gargoylpete

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:42:58 AM »

The good thing about the paint restore is that its not that difficult. I should probably do 1 of mine if i get time, but i restore statuary occasionaly as well as create m own.These shelves have excellent detail and using a drybrush technique is all you need to bring these to their origional beauty.Because the warp isnt too bad on yours and there doesnt seem to be any stress cracks, you should be ok in the display aspect.Of my 4, only 1 lies completely flat against the wall, the other have a gap of 1/2 to 1"from the wall on the top.I will eventually get pics of my collection up.Unlike most collectors that have their pieces designated to 1 area, i have mine all over my house and in my gallery.
steveh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »

Thanks for the tips and encouraging words!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: